Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Merci Monsieur!

I found a French book in the bottom of a box of second-hand stuff that someone gave my mother. I taught myself how to say, "Bonjour," "Bonsoir," "Comment allez-vous?" and "Merci." I was in 2nd or 3rd grade and Sister Mary Whoever was not impressed. "You'll study Latin in high school," she told me. I studied French in high school--maybe just to spite her. But as a high-schooler, I staggered through my classes under the influence of after-shave and Beatles' songs and boys wearing letter-jackets.
College is when it got to me. It wasn't exactly like a ride on the TGV. Things started slowly. Freshman year I was in a class that was too difficult and had to have a tutor. He was very cute, but that actually hindered my efforts at verb conjugation.
Sophomore year my professor frequently used poetry in the classroom and I think I remember a line passionate enough to keep me awake at 8 a.m.--something like "C'est mon coeur qui bat pour toi.
Junior year I went to France with a small group of Americans from my Catholic women's college. We brought our own professor--Monsieur Villette--and that was my personal point of no return. Monsieur V. opened the door on a lot of things I had no idea about. Paris was the very first big city I had ever been to, and the first time I dipped my feet into the sea, it was le grand bleu. I drank my first glass of pastis with him, learned my way around the cheese course, and saw my first Picasso. I was pretty sure I wasn't going to amount to much at that point in my life, but my semester in France with Monsieur V. changed that. And I actually learned to speak French. Merci Monsieur Villette!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

cheese (6) France's 100 Most Beautiful Villages (3) French food (3) Paris (3) Shopping (3) writing (3) Domaine de Thermes (2) French language (2) French words (2) Sophie Calle (2) figures of speech (2) foie gras (2) friendship (2) les plus beaux villages de France (2) lingerie (2) living in France (2) open air market (2) wine (2) " our illusions (1) "Bonjour Happiness" (1) "The Illusionist (1) 2009 (1) Athens (1) Bakken Trio (1) Brassai (1) Carcasonne (1) Cartier-Bresson (1) Christopher Hampton (1) Edward Beckett (1) French fashion (1) French slang (1) French style (1) French woman writer (1) French writer (1) Jamie Cat Callan (1) Julie Mueller (1) Mark Robson (1) Mary Wigman (1) Monsieur Vilette (1) Mr. Ex (1) Olivier Messiaen (1) Pasadena Conservatory of Music (1) The God of Carnage (1) The Guthrie Theater in Minneapolis (1) The Man Who Loves Women (1) The Walker Art Center (1) Tony Award for best play (1) Truffaut (1) VCCA (1) Valence d'Agen (1) Valentine's Day (1) Valentine's menu (1) Willing Workers on Organic Farms (1) Yazmin Reza (1) birds (1) brussels sprouts (1) café (1) cats (1) chickens (1) dessert (1) divorce (1) duck gizzards (1) eau de vie (1) ekphrasis (1) expressions (1) hats (1) hot chocolate (1) joie de vivre (1) laundry (1) magic (1) memoir (1) old French houses (1) older women (1) paint colors in Auvillar (1) photograhy (1) picking grapes (1) self-publishing (1) sense of place (1) shopping in France (1) studying in France (1) surveillance (1) terms of endearment (1) terroir (1) whipped cream (1) writing in France (1)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...