Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Cheese Please

"How can anyone govern a nation that has 246 kinds of cheese?" DeGaulle once asked. This says as much about French cheese as it does about France.
The cheese man at the open air market in Valence d'Agen yesterday was quite generous with samples. He had only a small selection--maybe 6 or 7 varieties of cheese produced in the Pyrenees which is about a 2-hour drive from here. I selected a hard cheese--a little sharp, good for an omelette or grated onto a salad. But after he told me he liked my hat and that I was beautiful and that he'd like my phone number, I got a little discombobulated and forgot to ask him the name of the cheese.
I told him I had only a USA number for my Blackberry, and then he asked me to stop back and see him when I finished my shopping.
I didn't.
But for the next couple of hours as I strolled past the fish, and the couscous, and the bread, the dishes, the clothes, and jewelry and yes, even the lingerie, I noticed that all of the couples I saw seemed to be well-matched in age. Maybe the French appreciate une femme d'un certain age.
Maybe cheese merchants, who know that the aging process enhances the cheese, are especially appreciative of older women.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

cheese (6) France's 100 Most Beautiful Villages (3) French food (3) Paris (3) Shopping (3) writing (3) Domaine de Thermes (2) French language (2) French words (2) Sophie Calle (2) figures of speech (2) foie gras (2) friendship (2) les plus beaux villages de France (2) lingerie (2) living in France (2) open air market (2) wine (2) " our illusions (1) "Bonjour Happiness" (1) "The Illusionist (1) 2009 (1) Athens (1) Bakken Trio (1) Brassai (1) Carcasonne (1) Cartier-Bresson (1) Christopher Hampton (1) Edward Beckett (1) French fashion (1) French slang (1) French style (1) French woman writer (1) French writer (1) Jamie Cat Callan (1) Julie Mueller (1) Mark Robson (1) Mary Wigman (1) Monsieur Vilette (1) Mr. Ex (1) Olivier Messiaen (1) Pasadena Conservatory of Music (1) The God of Carnage (1) The Guthrie Theater in Minneapolis (1) The Man Who Loves Women (1) The Walker Art Center (1) Tony Award for best play (1) Truffaut (1) VCCA (1) Valence d'Agen (1) Valentine's Day (1) Valentine's menu (1) Willing Workers on Organic Farms (1) Yazmin Reza (1) birds (1) brussels sprouts (1) café (1) cats (1) chickens (1) dessert (1) divorce (1) duck gizzards (1) eau de vie (1) ekphrasis (1) expressions (1) hats (1) hot chocolate (1) joie de vivre (1) laundry (1) magic (1) memoir (1) old French houses (1) older women (1) paint colors in Auvillar (1) photograhy (1) picking grapes (1) self-publishing (1) sense of place (1) shopping in France (1) studying in France (1) surveillance (1) terms of endearment (1) terroir (1) whipped cream (1) writing in France (1)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...